The Student, By Anton Chekhov (1894)

 Rating:9.5/10

'The Student' was vague to understand. I need a piece of religious knowledge and the hero's journey to interpret. The second step of a hero's journey is a call to adventure. In this story, the call was the light of widows' gardens. Due to the light, he found a way in the freezing weather and got into the special world, the widows' garden. Because I am Christian, I religiously comprehended the story. I think that the widows were growing apart from God. It might be the result of poverty or the loss of their husband. Under this harsh condition, they doubted the existence of God and became loose. They even forgot Easter. Thus, when Ivan told the story of a weak, foolish Peter, Vasilisa was moved. Also, the fire might be Chekhov's gun which symbolizes the spirit of God. In the bible, after Easter, there was fire above each Christian, and it was the spirit of God. Considering these, I believe the story's message is that God is always with us. Despite its discriminating element, I love the story because it made me think a lot about the meaning of each stuff and its relation to the bible. (199 words)

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

The Semplica-Girl Diaries by George Saunders(2012)

The Tower by Marghanita Laski (1955)

A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings by Gabriel Garcia Marquez