The Tower by Marghanita Laski (1955)



rating: 8.5/10

While I read this story, I was curious about what 'the tower' means. Why should Caroline go up to the top of the tower? When she went up, I felt like she was defying her circumstances. She was to break the recognition that women should behave modestly and stay inside their husbands' barriers. Because I am a boy, I can not fully understand the stereotype or social pressure that women suffer. The only thing I can be sure of is that it is hard to draw a line between overprotectiveness and respect. If a boy learns that he should protect the woman, the boy becomes a man who wants to control everything with his wife. "Lady First" and "Gentleman" may be old trends nowadays. In the 2020s, men and women should respect and push each other rather than protect and control. Also, my grandmother came to my mind. Her thought can not be free from what she learned in her youth because she lived in an era in that women should follow men. The recognition of gender is changing rapidly, I thought.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

The Lady With the Dog by Anton Chekhov(1899)

A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings by Gabriel Garcia Marquez