The Boarding House by James Joyce(1914)

 


rating: 8.5/10

The story was not hard to understand, and it may be the first story that I could read with no pressure. The expressions were more acceptable to me. For instance, through the song "I'm a naughty girl," I could make an image of Polly more easily. I felt more comfortable with the story than other stories of 'Dubliners,' so I gave it a high rating. 

 In the story, Mr. Doran chooses to get married to Polly, considering his public reputation. I fully understand Mr. Doran because a reputation has a considerable impact on one's life. However, I still wonder why he didn't leave. I think he could leave the town, and it must be better for him because he won't be happy with a wife who has just become an adult. I think this is another 'paralysis.' He didn't choose to get out of the terrible condition though he had a chance. 

 Also, I felt the marriage might not be a pledge of pure love. What made the marriage was not pure love but a social hierarchy or reputation. People tend to find their lover who has a higher social standing. 

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

The Semplica-Girl Diaries by George Saunders(2012)

The Tower by Marghanita Laski (1955)

A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings by Gabriel Garcia Marquez