Cathedral by Raymond Carver(1981)


rating: 9/10

I liked the casual contents of this story. They act like triggers that make me recall some experiences from my childhood. While reading this story, each of my friends came to my mind. In the first place, the husband didn't understand Robert and had a stereotype against a blind person. However, when Robert made him know the difference between physical looking and emotional looking, he became intimate with Robert. Especially in KMLA, I have many friends who had a unique first impression. Some of them seemed very confident and had no interest in their reputation or gossip. Some of them seemed very timid and selfish. When I first looked at them, I unconsciously determined each of them and ranked them with my stereotypes. However, after knowing them, I realized that the uniqueness of their outlook doesn't indicate who they are. All of them had compassion, emotion, or need for attention. Not determining a person by their look is necessary to have a good relationship with others. This story made me remind this. 

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

The Semplica-Girl Diaries by George Saunders(2012)

The Tower by Marghanita Laski (1955)

A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings by Gabriel Garcia Marquez