A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

 

rating: 9/10

The story moved me very much. I think people sometimes, or usually, consider other people only as a means to satisfy their good. Also, if someone has no use, they don't care about her. In this story, Pelayo and Elisenda find the old man with wings that look like an angel's. At first, they had no interest in the unique figure, but when they knew he was profitable, they exploited him. They took care of him only because they could earn money from him. Though Pelayo and Elisenda must be criticized and seem awful, I think most people are not really different. Even in KMLA, most students pretend to be kind and genuine to others when they need something from others. Even I pretend to be kind and sometimes feel I'm a liar. Thus, the story reflects a reality though it uses characters who are a bit different from humans in the real world. Considering weak people as a means to earn profit and exploiting them does occur realistically. This cruel reality makes me sad.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

The Semplica-Girl Diaries by George Saunders(2012)

The Tower by Marghanita Laski (1955)